Summit Housing & Outreach Programs is committed to excellence in serving all clients including people with disabilities.
When communicating with a person with a disability, Summit must ensure we take into account the person’s disability:
i. Summit must ensure that we have policies, procedures and practices governing the provision of services to persons with disabilities.
ii. Our policies, practices and procedures must be consistent with the following principles:
- Within our programs, respect the dignity and independence of
persons with disabilities
- Integrated unless an alternate measure is necessary, whether on a temporary or permanent basis, to enable a person with disability to obtain benefit from the goods or services.
- Persons with disabilities must be given opportunities equal to that
given to others who use and benefit from our service
iii. Without limiting (i) and (ii) our policies, practices and procedures must deal with assistive devices by a person with disabilities to obtain, use or benefit from our services
Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. No additional fees will be charged for the support person.
Notice of temporary disruption with disabilities, such as elevators out of service at Burlington Office, 760 Brant Street suite 405 A Summit Housing and Outreach Programs will notify clients promptly. A clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. This notice will be placed at the Street entrance of effected facility.
Training for staff
Summit Housing and Outreach Programs will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf.
Individuals in the following positions will be trained:
Staff (Executive Director, Directors, Managers, Community Residential and Relief Support Workers, Administrative Staff, Social Workers, Nurses Peer, Vocational, Addictions, Occupational, Housing and Rehabilitation Specialists), Volunteers and third party Contractors.
This training will be provided to staff within the first month of employment or service provision.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard.
- Summit Housing and Outreach Programs’ plan related to the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use the equipment or devices, e.g. TTY, wheelchair, lifts, etc., available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilities.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Summit Housing and Outreach Programs
Review of Policy
A copy of this policy will be issued to and reviewed with all clients during their orientation process. A copy will be placed on our website http://www.summit-housing.ca/
This policy will be reviewed for clarity and compliance with current regulations and policies on an annual basis.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Summit Housing and Outreach Programs provides goods and services to people with disabilities can e-mail, verbally and in written form through a suggestion box.
All feedback will be directed to Executive Director.
Complaints will be addressed according to our organization’s regular complaint management procedures.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of Summit Housing and Outreach Programs that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Clients and Staff will be notified of any changes to this policy. Additional training will be provided for Staff to cover any changes to this policy.